Friday, December 4, 2009

Alicia Keys "The Element Of Freedom"


If you're following me on twitter then you should know that I haven't been feeling any of the material released from Alicia Keys newest effort. None of the singles blew me away, or even built any anticipation for the release. Her first single "Doesn't Mean Anything" sounds like a 2009 sequel to "If I Ain't Got You", been there heard that Alicia, give me something new.

She probably should have held released "Empire State Of Mind (Part II)" before Hov released The Blueprint 3 because without him on the Track the song just isn't the same.I'm  always one for an acoustic version of a track but this one falls on deaf ears. Hov should Thank Ms. Keys for one of (maybe the biggest) hit he's had to date.

 "Put It In A Love Song" Ft Beyonce' has elements of Get me Bodied in the beat, but its very faint.Can't Say I'm feelin the track that much though. With that combo of talent Alicia should have just played the Piano and let B just destroy the track with those vocals. (I.E. "Impossible"-Christina Aguilera)

A sinking album was given some breathe by "Like The Sea" . I can Dig the concept of the song in terms of Love discovered and the UP's, and then you start getting to those down's and being taken "Under". "Love Is Blind" is my favorite track on the album right now. Her vocals are raw and intense, a good blend with the hypnotic feel of the beat.

Overall I'm not impressed at all.Her singing has declined since "Songs In A Minor" and the substance although relevant to many is repetitive and lacks creativity. The Production isn't even impressive.I've been anticipating a new release from Alicia Keys for so long and this is what she gives me/us? Maybe I needed to lower my standards to appreciate the album more, but if I have to lower my standards then that speaks for itself. I'll see what you all have to say.

Stand Out Tracks:
"Distance And Time" " Love Is My Disease" "That's How Strong My Love Is" " Love Is Blind"


On The Groove Scale....it registers a 6 

Listen To The Album here

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish my computer was back I could finally download all these albums.. but from what you said, I guess I can wait. SMH and I didn't know that this was the 2nd version of empire state, i heard the extra verses on Hot 97 cause they play it like every hour 10 times an hour all day, but I just thought it was some lame version of a remix. Why would you put that on your CD? The main person on the track is HOV. --Who knows.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts On Album